As a Nanny having sleep hygiene is essential for you and your client’s child(ren). Sleep hygiene refers to healthy sleeping habits. Good sleeping habits are necessary to maintain all-around wellness of mental a physical health for you and the child(ren) you take care of.
Remember, sleep is when the body and mind are relatively inactive for several hours, the nervous system is at ease, the eyes are closed, and the postural muscles are relaxed, a temporary state of unconsciousness that recurs daily.
Therefore, the general sleep time for adults and kids varies from 7 to 17 hours, and as a Nanny, it is essential to get your beauty sleep so that you can feel refreshed to deal with your client’s child(ren). Not only is it necessary for you to get your 7 to 9 hours of sleep, but your client’s young child(ren) needs 9 to 13 hours, and toddlers and babies need 12 to 17 hours of sleep daily. So it is essential to know how many hours of sleep you and your client’s child(ren) need.
Below are the advantages and disadvantages of sleep hygiene.
8 Advantages of sleep hygiene.
- Healthy sleep habits reduce stress levels.
- Adequate sleep increases the ability to focus.
- Healthy sleep boost immunity.
- Healthy sleep habits improve mental health.
- Healthy sleep habits keep the appearance young.
- Adequate sleep causes faster cell regeneration.
- Adequate sleep increases blood circulation.
- Adequate sleep improves memory and cognitive activity.
5 Disadvantages of inadequate sleep
Nevertheless, Nannies need to get a good sleeping regimen so that their bodies can feel “refreshed, replenish, and rebuild. It helps your immune system work better and keeps you mentally sharp” so that you are alert and energized while taking care of your little ones on the job. (1)
Many reputable sources list great tips to better sleep, such as:
- Exercise and being physically active during the day help you fall easily at night.
- Be consistent; go to bed at the same time each night.
- Make sure your bedroom is quiet, dark, relaxing, and at a comfortable temperature.
- Avoid large meals, caffeine, and alcohol before bedtime. (2)
Remember, good sleeping habits are essential as a Nanny because when you are at your best, you give your client’s child(ren) the best.